sled push

sled push

Friday, September 30, 2011


Well, today is the last day of September and the deadline for the WOD Love's muscle up challenge. I went into the gym this morning very confident. I didn't immediately jump on the rings, instead I went ahead and started my strength WOD. As I was working on the Snatch Balance I was very appalled at how awful I am at that movement. I have a 125lbs Overhead Squat but a 45lb Snatch Balance was awful! Part of the problem, (aside from the fact that I haven't done this movement very much) is my arms. My forearms and my triceps are toast. I knew then that it wasn't looking like a very good morning for muscle-ups. BUT being the stubborn me that I am, I wanted to at least try. I gave it only 3 attempts and then my arms were aching so badly they were visibly shaking. They hurt so badly I wanted to cry, because of pain and frustration.
So, I felt defeated. The fact that I had PR'd my back squat today by 15lbs was overshadowed by my sense of failure on this one thing.
I feel like I just lost a race that I ran my ass off in. But, after a while, I stopped the self-inflicted beatings and reminded myself that tomorrow is another day.
My husband is back in town for the weekend and we all went out to dinner tonight. He is the reason my mood brightened considerably. I decided at dinner though, that I wanted to give it one more go. I mean, the day wasn't over yet, right?
When we got home, I didn't even go inside. We all stayed in the garage and I told my husband and my boys it would only take a minute. I was going to do it and then take a week off!
Oh my goodness! I came soooo close! What you can't see in the video above is the cause of my inability to dip out. My right wrist flipped over and I couldn't get it straight. I hung there as long as I could trying to flip my wrist over but then my wrist really started hurting and I began to fear I was about to injure my wrist. Damn it! I have NEVER been that close before! I have NEVER been able to get my head through the rings! And I did it tonight!!! Even if I didn't get that muscle-up, tonight I had a small victory! I really believe that if my arms were not as fatigued as they are, I would have had it. But right after this last attempt my arms began to spasm. My husband had to roll them out for me. Oh they hurt!
I waited one more hour and tried one more time, much to my husbands scolding, but after that very last go at it, I could tell I was pushing my limits. The last thing I want to do is give myself a stress fracture and then be unable to workout for the next few weeks.
As it is, the fatigue in my arms has already affected my overhead lifts this week. So, I am taking the weekend off and seeing how I feel by Monday. I will be smart about it. I missed this deadline for this challenge, but I will not miss my original one, October 16. I got this!

Today's Strength WOD
At the Oly-lift Cert this past weekend, I talked with Coach Burgener about my strength training and asked for his coaching advise. I explained to him that my goal is to get stronger with the Oly-Lifts. So, I am changing my strength bias up a bit.

Back Squat- Work up to a heavy single (175lbs-15lb PR!) then did 90% at 2 reps, then 85% at 3 reps, 3 sets
Front Squat-80%(115lbs)3 reps, 3 sets
Snatch Balance- this is a new movement so I worked on the skill 45lbs-45lbs-45lbs-65lbs(awful!), 45lbs, 33lbs

Muscle Up Work and Muscle Up Work

Eating:
Day 25 of WHOLE30
Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs with almonds
POST WOD: Progenex
Snack: Larabar
Lunch: Turkey burger (patty only), cajun spiced sweet potato wedges, crackling cauliflower (from Whole Foods-yum!!)
Snack: Raisins
Dinner: Peeled Shrimp, Crab legs and broccoli

No comments:

Post a Comment