sled push

sled push

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

My Quest for the Elusive Muscle-Up

Ok, what gives? No. Seriously! I have been CrossFitting for almost two years and have been working on Muscle-up progressions for over a year. Why can't this happen for me?! I have watched every demo video that is out there. I have tried every Muscle-up Progression that there is. I have worked on dips, pullups, transitions, negatives, jumping muscle-ups, band assisted muscle ups, you name it! I can do 30 band assisted muscle ups, 27lb weighted pullups, 26lb weighted dips... I'm good there! I have left the gym in tears. I have said very bad words. I have screamed in frustration. I have actually layed in bed many, many nights seeing myself do this movement. I have prayed. I have stepped away from the rings for weeks at time because I thought my head was getting in the way.
Other movements have eluded me as well, but I would practice and practice and then one day I would eventually reach my goal. For example, after 2 weeks of practicing Double Unders for 20 minutes every single day, I finally got them. In fact, I broke my record today with 44 unbroken. A year ago, I spent an entire hour working on them and got a grand total of 1 double under! Then I focused on handstand pushups for a few weeks and now I have handstand pushups. Deadhang pullups? Same thing. My point? Hard work and persistence pays off. Practice makes perfect...right? Except when it comes to this damn muscle up! I am at a loss. It can't be just me, can it?
So, what led to this vent this evening? An hour long session today of just Muscle Up work, resulting in ripped up wrists, bad words and ...no Muscle Up. For a Level 1 Instructor, this simply will not do! I feel like I must be the only CrossFit coach out there that doesn't have a muscle up. I can coach progressions and transitions all day long, but I can't demonstrate one! WTH?! The level of my frustration is indescribable.
What am I going to do about it? You guessed it, just keep doing what I am doing. Persistence has to pay off eventually, right? And I have invited you along for the ride, let's hope it's a short one!

TODAY'S WOD
10 minutes AMRAP
10 Thrusters (65lbs)
20 Russian Twist (12lb ball)
300 meter run
Score 3 rounds + 30 reps. I finished the last rep of the Russian Twist with 45 seconds left on the clock. I knew there was no way in hell I could run 300 meters in 45 seconds so I just stopped. Why? Because I didn't want to run. But then Mark and I talked about how WOD would be better as 4 rounds instead of a 10 minute AMRAP, so then I had to do the last 300 meters so I could get my 4 rounds. But, I know that doesn't technically count.

STRENGTH
3-3-3-3-3 Front Squat (93lbs, 115lbs, 125lbs, 130lbs x 2, 130lbs x 2) last two sets I failed on the 3rd rep. - If you're not failing every now and then, you are not trying hard enough. :)

SKILL
1 hour Muscle Up progression work.

MEALS
Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs, 1 piece canadian bacon
POST WOD: Progenex
Snack: Protein Bar
Lunch: Cranberry and Chicken Salad
Snack: Sea Salt Almonds and a handful of grapes
Dinner: Pork chops, spinach and yellow squash with a frozen dipped (dark chocolate) banana for dessert. Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment